Re: TI OMAP 3503 GPIO signal I/O standard for interfacing with FPGA

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Philip Balister<philip@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John Sarman wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Elvis Dowson<elvis.dowson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi John,

>>> Thanks for the info, I've read that section on the GPMC. I'm going to
>>> attempt this in stages. First I'll implement a simple protocol between
>>> the
>>> OMAP and the FPGA, e.g. use GPIOs to signal read and write operations,
>>> and
>>> the serial UART0 to transfer data to a memory location for the FPGA to
>>> process and return the result.
>>>
>>> Since the TI OMAP uses 1.8v signalling, I can directly interface it with
>>> the
>>> Virtex-5 and get a simple prototype up and running.
>>>
>>> After that, create a TI OMAP GPMC to PLB v4.6 Bus Bridge, to make the
>>> GPMC
>>> requests appear in the FPGA PLB bus, so that it can access the FPGA
>>> devices
>>> and peripherals connected to the PLB bus. I'm using the gumstix Overo for
>>> these tests, and the GPMC signals are not available on the Palo43 or
>>> summit
>>> expansion boards. It is available on the Overo J4/J6 connector though,
>>> but
>>> that needs a custom board to bring those signals out.
>>>
>>> Do you know if any other TI OMAP 35xx development board exposes the GPMC
>>> connectors? I just want to finish the software/firmware part before
>>> starting
>>> work on a custom expansion board.
>>

>> I had to build a custom board for my project, I would recommend taking
>> that approach if possible.
>
> Gumstix Overo?

Yeah using the Overo. I whipped up a board with 4 port USB Host, 1
OTG, the smsc911x ethernet controller. and msp430 to control some
peripherials, 3rd MMC, etc, etc.
My favorite part was the 70 Watt dual power supply (5V,3.3V).   The
gumstix uses about 1-2 watts so a little overkill on the supply, but
it can cook right through a pencil lead :)

Gumstix site has excellent docs to be able to build an expansion
board.  Makes more sense with these fine pitch connectors to build a
proper test board rather than try to bread board up two demo boards.

John