Re: possible deprecation and removal of some old QEMU Arm machine types (pxa2xx, omap, sa1110)

On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 at 10:45, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 15, 2024, at 09:31, Andreas Kemnade wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 23:42:58 +0100

> >> If we want to actually go there, I think the best option for PCMCIA
> >> support is likely to replace the entire "soc_common" pcmcia driver
> >> with a simple drivers/pata/ storage driver and no support for
> >> other cards. There was a driver until commit 38943cbd25a2
> >> ("ata: remove palmld pata driver") that could serve as an
> >> template.
> >>
> > hmm, main usage for PCMCIA/CF in those devices was often something else,
> > not storage, at least on the IPAQ h2200. Wondering wether that road is
> > actually good. When I was mainly using those devices, I was not good in
> > mainlining things.
>
> Do we still support any non-storage CF devices that someone might
> actually use? Do you have a specific example in mind? These are
> the currently supported devices that I see:

The Bluetooth over the PCMCIA UART worked last time I checked it and
according to your grep it is still a valid user.

If we are talking about re-bootstrap of the PCMCIA subsystem, hostap
and orinoco come to my mind. We dropped those drivers a while ago, but
back at that time they were very useful. Also I had the out-of-tree
driver for Sharp 0.3 MP cameras using CF interface (yeah, sure, all of
those are out-of-tree nowadays).

--
With best wishes
Dmitry