Re: possible deprecation and removal of some old QEMU Arm machine types (pxa2xx, omap, sa1110)

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024, at 13:26, Dmitry Baryshkov wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 at 23:22, Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Andrea Adami and Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov did the work in 2017 to
>> modernize it a bit, and Russell helped out. I was under the impression
>> that they only used real hardware though!
>
> I used both Qemu and actual hardware (having collie, poodle, tosa and
> c860 that was easy).
>
> The biggest issue with Zaurus PDAs was that supporting interesting
> parts of the platform (PCMCIA, companion chips) required almost
> rebootstrapping of the corresponding drivers.
> E.g. I had a separate driver for the LoCoMo chip which worked properly
> with the DT systems.
> PCMCIA was a huuuge trouble and it didn't play well at all. The driver
> must be rewritten to use the component framework.

If we want to actually go there, I think the best option for PCMCIA
support is likely to replace the entire "soc_common" pcmcia driver
with a simple drivers/pata/ storage driver and no support for
other cards. There was a driver until commit 38943cbd25a2
("ata: remove palmld pata driver") that could serve as an
template.

      Arnd