Re: possible deprecation and removal of some old QEMU Arm machine types (pxa2xx, omap, sa1110)

On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 03:14:21PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 at 14:36, Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2/12/24 04:32, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > > The machines I have in mind are:
> > >
> > > PXA2xx machines:
> > >
> > > akita                Sharp SL-C1000 (Akita) PDA (PXA270)
> > > borzoi               Sharp SL-C3100 (Borzoi) PDA (PXA270)
> > > connex               Gumstix Connex (PXA255)
> > > mainstone            Mainstone II (PXA27x)
> > > spitz                Sharp SL-C3000 (Spitz) PDA (PXA270)
> > > terrier              Sharp SL-C3200 (Terrier) PDA (PXA270)
> > > tosa                 Sharp SL-6000 (Tosa) PDA (PXA255)
> > > verdex               Gumstix Verdex Pro XL6P COMs (PXA270)
> > > z2                   Zipit Z2 (PXA27x)
> > >
> > I test akita, borzoi, spitz, and terrier. Upstream Linux removed support
> > for mainstone, tosa, and z2 from the Linux kernel as of version 6.0, so
> > I am no longer testing those.
> >
> > I never managed to boot connex or verdex.
> >
> > > OMAP1 machines:
> > >
> > > cheetah              Palm Tungsten|E aka. Cheetah PDA (OMAP310)
> > > sx1                  Siemens SX1 (OMAP310) V2
> > > sx1-v1               Siemens SX1 (OMAP310) V1
> > >
> > I test sx1. I don't think I ever tried cheetah, and I could not get sx1-v1
> > to work.
> >
> > > OMAP2 machines:
> > >
> > > n800                 Nokia N800 tablet aka. RX-34 (OMAP2420)
> > > n810                 Nokia N810 tablet aka. RX-44 (OMAP2420)
> > >
> > I never managed to get those to boot the Linux kernel.
> >
> > > The one SA1110 machine:
> > >
> > > collie               Sharp SL-5500 (Collie) PDA (SA-1110)
> > >
> > I do test collie.
> >
> > All the ones I use still boot the latest Linux kernel.
> >
> > > Obviously if we can remove all the machines that used a given
> > > SoC, that's much more effective than if we just delete one or two.
> > >
> > > I don't have any test images for the SA1110 or OMAP1 machines,
> > > so those are the ones I am most keen to be able to drop.
> > > I do have test images for a few of the pxa2xx and the OMAP2 machines.
> > >
> > I don't mind dropping them, just listing what I use for testing the
> > Linux kernel. I suspect I may be the only "user" of those boards,
> > though, both in Linux and qemu.
>
> Mmm; there's not much point in both QEMU and the kernel
> maintaining code that nobody's using. Are you considering
> dropping support for any of these SoC families from the kernel?

Not me personally. Arnd is the one mostly involved in dropping
support of obsolete hardware from the kernel.

> It sounds like between the two of us we do have at least one
> test image per SoC type if we do keep any of these, but
> if it isn't going to inconvenience kernel testing I'm
> inclined to go ahead with deprecate-and-drop for the whole lot.
> (With QEMU's deprecate-and-drop policy, that would be "announce
> deprecation now for 9.0, keep in 9.1, remove before 9.2 release
> at the end of the year".) At a minimum I would like to drop
> the OMAP1 and OMAP2 boards, as that's the biggest code burden.

I am copying Arnd, the OMAP1 Linux kernel maintainers, PXA2 maintainers,
and the Linux omap mailing list for input. Sorry for the noise for those
who don't care, but I think it is useful to have your voices heard.

Personally I think it very unlikely that anyone is using the latest Linux
kernel on any of the affected machines, but I may be wrong.

Thanks,
Guenter