Re: possible deprecation and removal of some old QEMU Arm machine types (pxa2xx, omap, sa1110)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 at 15:36, Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 03:14:21PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:

> I am copying Arnd, the OMAP1 Linux kernel maintainers, PXA2 maintainers,
> and the Linux omap mailing list for input. Sorry for the noise for those
> who don't care, but I think it is useful to have your voices heard.

Thanks to everybody for your input on this thread. My
proposal is to drop from QEMU:
 * all the PXA2xx machines
 * all the OMAP2 machines
 * the cheetah OMAP1 machine

leaving (at least for now) sx1, sx1-v1, collie.

Rationale:
 * for QEMU dropping individual machines is much less beneficial
   than if we can drop support for an entire SoC
 * the OMAP2 QEMU code in particular is large, old and unmaintained,
   and none of the OMAP2 kernel maintainers said they were using
   QEMU in any of their testing/development
 * although Guenter is currently booting test kernels on some
   of the PXA2xx machines, nobody seemed to be using them as part
   of their active kernel development and my impression from the
   thread is that PXA is the closest of all these SoC families to
   being dropped from the kernel soon
 * nobody said they were using cheetah, so it's entirely
   untested and quite probably broken
 * on the other hand the OMAP1 sx1 model does seem to be being
   used as part of kernel development, and there was interest
   in keeping collie around

I'm going to mark these as deprecated for the QEMU 9.0 release,
which by our deprecate-and-drop policy means they will be
still present in 9.0 (due out in April) and 9.1 (August-ish),
and removed in 9.2 (December).

I'm potentially open to persuasion if anybody thinks I'm
being too drastic here; persuasion that came attached to
a desire to help modernise the QEMU code for the relevant
machines would be the most effective :-)

thanks
-- PMM