Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/4] McBSP support for 34XX

> Hi,
>
> Here is a patch that adds support for McBSP on 34XX.
> It has been verified in digital loopback mode.

Hi,

I tested the set with N810 ASoC audio and still plays :-)

Some comments. First, commit messages should more descriptive than
"McBSP support for 34XX" for all of them. Like:

1. Add support for OMAP34xx McBSP ports 3-4
2. Fix register access width for OMAP34xx (this should be -rc patch?)
3. ...

> The patch includes the following features.
>
> 1. McBSP enabled in defconfig
This should go as a separate patch since it is for 3430dsp only.

> 2. Supporting all the LP features.
> 3. Support of DMA chaining mode and one time configuration for entire
> transfer to improve performance.
> 4. Independent configurations and transfer of Rx and Tx
> 5. MCBSP data transfer in 8, 16 and 32 bit mode.

I think we should have some expected use case for these before adding
the features?

> 6. instead of mcbsp client configuring all the register, it allows
> clients to  configure parameters like clk polarity, clk src and other
> parameters.

This would be good direction. E.g. it's bit hacky how configuration is
now done in sound/soc/omap/omap-mcbsp.c where McBSP register cache is
have to use because all of the registers are written in once with
omap_mcbsp_config.

Jarkko