Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/4] McBSP support for 34XX

thanks for the comments
i will make the necessary changes (for your and tony's comments) and resend it asap.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jarkko Nikula" <jarkko.nikula@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "ext Chandra shekhar" <x0044955@xxxxxx>
Cc: <linux-omap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/4] McBSP support for 34XX

Hi,

Here is a patch that adds support for McBSP on 34XX.
It has been verified in digital loopback mode.

Hi,

I tested the set with N810 ASoC audio and still plays :-)

Some comments. First, commit messages should more descriptive than
"McBSP support for 34XX" for all of them. Like:

1. Add support for OMAP34xx McBSP ports 3-4
2. Fix register access width for OMAP34xx (this should be -rc patch?)
3. ...

The patch includes the following features.

1. McBSP enabled in defconfig
This should go as a separate patch since it is for 3430dsp only.

2. Supporting all the LP features.
3. Support of DMA chaining mode and one time configuration for entire
transfer to improve performance.
4. Independent configurations and transfer of Rx and Tx
5. MCBSP data transfer in 8, 16 and 32 bit mode.

I think we should have some expected use case for these before adding
the features?

6. instead of mcbsp client configuring all the register, it allows
clients to  configure parameters like clk polarity, clk src and other
parameters.

This would be good direction. E.g. it's bit hacky how configuration is
now done in sound/soc/omap/omap-mcbsp.c where McBSP register cache is
have to use because all of the registers are written in once with
omap_mcbsp_config.

Jarkko