Re: RPC service registration timeout

At 03:28 PM 4/4/2008, Chuck Lever wrote:
>It could be waiting for the remote to come up.  In which case, a few
>retries after ECONNREFUSED is useful, even preferred.

If the remote rpcbind is coming up, then there's no need to deregister.
I would certainly not advocate bailing the registration of course!

>I'm going to try prototyping a new RPC_CLNT_ flag.

Sure what the heck. If the RPC client needs to serve all upper layers
then a new behavior makes sense. I fondly recall Rick Macklem's
"spongy" mounts, in-between hard and soft, that retried nonidempotent
ops harder than others.

Since you're exploring something on the other side of soft, may I
suggest "squishy"? :-)

Tom.