Re: RPC service registration timeout

On Apr 4, 2008, at 2:54 PM, Talpey, Thomas wrote:
At 02:41 PM 4/4/2008, Chuck Lever wrote:
Use TCP instead of UDP to contact the local rpcbind daemon.  If
rpcbind isn't listening, the connection is refused immediately, and
the RPC client can tell without waiting for a timeout.

You can get a prompt error if you use UDP connected mode (call
connect() on the UDP socket). Any ICMP port unreachable will
flow back to an ECONNREFUSED error on the socket. This doesn't
occur for unconnected UDP endpoints.

Yeah, RPC client uses unconnected UDP sockets.

We would have to create a new RPC_CLNT_CREATE_FOO flag that tells the
client to fail an RPC immediately if the connection is refused (kind
of like the old "one shot" flag).  This shouldn't be the default
behavior.

Sounds reasonable. But, a port unreachable error should generally
be a "hard" indication, since it does come from the remote host,
or a middlebox acting as its proxy. In other words, any reasonably
small number of retries would all receive the same response. This is
much like a TCP RST - not a transitory event. UDP errors such as
host unreachable or network down (which come from the infrastructure
not the server) should not of course be considered this way and
retry is appropriate.

Bottom line, I think it might actually be a useful default. Why does
the client currently retry ECONNREFUSED for port resolution?

Because the RPC client does that for all RPCs. It retries soft until a timeout; hard, forever.

It could be waiting for the remote to come up. In which case, a few retries after ECONNREFUSED is useful, even preferred.

I'm going to try prototyping a new RPC_CLNT_ flag.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com