Re: RPC service registration timeout

At 03:25 PM 4/4/2008, Trond Myklebust wrote:
>> Bottom line, I think it might actually be a useful default. Why does
>> the client currently retry ECONNREFUSED for port resolution?
>
>The client currently doesn't retry in the case of a connection failing
>for a soft RPC request. For hard RPC requests then it _must_ retry the
>connection, but it does so using an exponential backoff rule.

Yes, for the NFS client this is true, and necessary. I'm wondering why
the rpcbind/portmap client retries on ECONNREFUSED. Seems overly
heroic, to me - the destination responded, and said "go away".

If it fails with a server-provided error such as this, the caller can and
should decide what to do - if that caller is NFS, it can apply soft/hard
to the retry decision. But Chuck's example, for instance, is NFSD.

Tom.