Re: RPC service registration timeout

Hi Tom-

On Apr 4, 2008, at 12:49 PM, Talpey, Thomas wrote:
I think a second or two is way too short, but I do wonder if it can't
issue the unregisters asynchronously, and in parallel.

You would have to parallelize the setup of the lockd and nfsd services. Ie this would be a ULP change. Doable, but complicated.

Can you say why you think two seconds is too short for a local host operation?

Then it can
wait for them all, with a timeout maybe on the order of 10 to 15
seconds. A couple of retries while waiting sounds reasonable.

The current situation is a 5 second timeout, followed by 10, then 20. Even shortening the initial timeout would be helpful, or making it not do exponential backoff.

NFSD is usually started during system boot. If there are problems like this, it looks like a boot hang.

Making the wait interruptible seems dicey. Once the deregistration
is started, it seems like it should always make a best attempt to
complete it.

If you interrupt a script like /etc/init.d/nfs, you will just have to re-run it, and it will try the unregistration again. I'm not sure what you protect by making unregistration uninterruptible.

This may be an undesired artifact of neutering "intr" in 2.6.25.

Also, nfsd is usually started as a service, so there's
not likely to be a user.

The system actually does throw an "ICMP port unreachable" if the daemon isn't listening. The problem is this never gets back to the RPC client. Even if it did, what's the correct thing to do?