Re: RPC service registration timeout

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 12:49 -0400, Talpey, Thomas wrote:
> I think a second or two is way too short, but I do wonder if it can't
> issue the unregisters asynchronously, and in parallel. Then it can
> wait for them all, with a timeout maybe on the order of 10 to 15
> seconds. A couple of retries while waiting sounds reasonable.
>
> Making the wait interruptible seems dicey. Once the deregistration
> is started, it seems like it should always make a best attempt to
> complete it. Also, nfsd is usually started as a service, so there's
> not likely to be a user.

I'd say that making the RPC call asynchronous, but doing an
interruptible wait on completion is probably the best solution.

Making the process entirely asynchronous can be problematic if you
decide to restart the service due to the potential for reordering
between the unregister/register RPC calls.

Cheers
  Trond

--
Trond Myklebust