Re: Notebook ethernet problems

Chuck Martin wrote:
[snip, snip]

> shows.  One question:  Would there be a problem with leaving a terminated
> coax cable hanging loose to hook my notebook computer up to (so I wouldn't
> have to reach around the back of the computer everytime I wanted to hook
> it up)?  Then I could just remove the terminator and attach the cable to
> my notebook.

Well, I realised my diagram may not have been really clear, so:

50Ohm      T-piece                          50Ohm
terminator connector                        terminator
       __  _____         _____        _____  __
      [__||_   _|-------|_   _|------|_   _||__]
            |_|           |_|          |_|
             |             |            |
             V             V            V
         to any n/w   to any n/w    not connected
           card           card       to anything.

You must always have the terminators on each end.  Any number of
connections can be left hanging out for attachment to another network
device, all you have to do is lock it onto the BNC connector and away
you go.

> > If you go to the index at http://zeus.eed.usv.ro/misc/doc/, you'll get
> > links to more information than you could digest in a lot of reading.
>
> Thanks.  I'll definitely check these out.

No worries, mate.

--
Michael Earley
System Support Officer