Re: kernel bug in UDP/ICMP w/ traceroute?

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Pekka Savola wrote:
> I think I've found a bug in UDP/ICMP code in the kernel using
> traceroute.
>
> To reproduce: Launch traceroute -n to some Linux system nearby
> really quickly 3 times in the row; localhost won't work, it has to go
> through network.  Quick response is crucial.  I used systems w/ in
> the same physical network and a few routers between (still < 5 ms
> response).

As a couple of kind people pointed out, this is intended behaviour caused
by ICMP response rate -limiting.  The rate is tunable from /proc.

However, I think it would be good to log these messages, like several
flavours of BSD do; this way, you might detect situations like mine
quickly, and perhaps spot an unusual behaviour or two in the
process.  There could also be an option to turn the logging off.

--
Pekka Savola                    "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Pekka.Savola@netcore.fi          not those you stumble over and fall"

-