Re: Notebook ethernet problems

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 10:38:05AM +1000, Michael Earley wrote:

> 50Ohm  T-piece
> Term   connector     Coax cable
>  __  _____  __                              __  _____  __
> [__||_   _||__]----------------------------[__||_   _||__]
>       |_|                                        |_|
>        |                                          |
>        V                                          V
>      to PCMCIA                                 to PCMCIA
>      card                                       card

Thanks for the reply.  This is how I finally had to set it up, and it
fixed the problem.

> This is the only configuration you need - you mentioned using RJ-11
> adaptors for something, I don't understand why, but if you have the
> cable configuration as above you should be fine.  Crossover ethernet is

The reason for that was that I was trying to get by as inexpensively
as possible.  I was at a local computer show with many vendors, and I
found the PCMCIA cards (used) from one vendor, and the terminators and
T-connectors from another vendor.  I looked around, but no one seemed
to have any coax cables, although several had the newer style cables
with the RJ45 connectors.  I finally found one vendor with several bags
and boxes of assorted parts and cables, and in one of those boxes were
the adapters, and in another were the cables.  He sold me the cable for
$.75 and threw in the adapters for nothing.  Unfortunately, the adapters
weren't for ethernet according to a previous reply from Donald Becker,
so I had to go out and get a regular coax cable from a local computer
store (who I normally don't like to do business with because I think
they're too high-priced).

> fine if you only have two computers, but add one more computer, or
> network printer, or cable modem, or whatever, and you instantly are
> looking at a hub and regular ethernet cabling between all the
> devices/PC's.  With coax, you can simply add another segment for next to
> nothing, and 10Mbps is fine for small networks as long as your network
> load isn't high (ie, you're not trying to load balance your real-time 3D
> rendering program on two PC's on your network while transferring files
> between other PC's!).

This was my thinking exactly, and for my purposes, the 10Mbps and coax
will do fine.  I may even add a network card to my desktop computer,
since used 10Mbps cards can be had for about $5 (maybe less) at computer
shows.  One question:  Would there be a problem with leaving a terminated
coax cable hanging loose to hook my notebook computer up to (so I wouldn't
have to reach around the back of the computer everytime I wanted to hook
it up)?  Then I could just remove the terminator and attach the cable to
my notebook.

> Usually it all falls together once you've got it set up right.  You
> might like to check out the Upgrading and Repairing PC's book online at
> http://zeus.eed.usv.ro/misc/doc/upgrep/index.htm or the Upgrading and

Thanks.  I didn't know this was available online.  I recently bought the
Linux Edition of this book.

> Repairing Networks book at
> http://zeus.eed.usv.ro/misc/doc/net/repair/index.htm.
>
> If you go to the index at http://zeus.eed.usv.ro/misc/doc/, you'll get
> links to more information than you could digest in a lot of reading.

Thanks.  I'll definitely check these out.

Chuck

-