Re: Notebook ethernet problems

Chuck Martin wrote:

> I bought these cards because they were available for $10 each at a local
> computer show.  Unfortunately, they only have 10base2 (the BNC connectors),
> so a crossover connector is out of the question, unless there's some way
> to convert them.

50Ohm  T-piece
Term   connector     Coax cable
 __  _____  __                              __  _____  __
[__||_   _||__]----------------------------[__||_   _||__]
      |_|                                        |_|
       V                                          V
     to PCMCIA                                 to PCMCIA
     card                                       card

This is the only configuration you need - you mentioned using RJ-11
adaptors for something, I don't understand why, but if you have the
cable configuration as above you should be fine.  Crossover ethernet is
fine if you only have two computers, but add one more computer, or
network printer, or cable modem, or whatever, and you instantly are
looking at a hub and regular ethernet cabling between all the
devices/PC's.  With coax, you can simply add another segment for next to
nothing, and 10Mbps is fine for small networks as long as your network
load isn't high (ie, you're not trying to load balance your real-time 3D
rendering program on two PC's on your network while transferring files
between other PC's!).

> My main concern at the moment isn't to set up a network, but to provide
> a faster way to transfer files between my notebook computers than either
> floppies or my parallel port zip drive, and also to learn a bit about
> networking in the process.

Usually it all falls together once you've got it set up right.  You
might like to check out the Upgrading and Repairing PC's book online at
http://zeus.eed.usv.ro/misc/doc/upgrep/index.htm or the Upgrading and
Repairing Networks book at
http://zeus.eed.usv.ro/misc/doc/net/repair/index.htm.

If you go to the index at http://zeus.eed.usv.ro/misc/doc/, you'll get
links to more information than you could digest in a lot of reading.

Have fun!
--
Michael Earley
System Support Officer