Trying to add a slave server to an existing NIS/YP network ...

Trying to add a slave server to an existing NIS/YP network ...

I did the following to no avail (both existing master and new slave
are RedHat 6.2 with ypserv-1.3.9-3, ypbind-3.3-28 and
yp-tools-2.4-1) ...

On the NIS master server (thor.theseus.com):
   Change "NOPUSH=true" to "NOPUSH=false" in /var/yp/Makefile
   Added the slave server FQDN to the /var/yp/ypservers file
   Ran "make" in /var/yp

On the new NIS slaver server (intranet.theseus.com):
   Ran "/usr/lib/yp/init -s thor.theseus.com

I keep getting things similar to the following:

thor/var/yp#  make

[root@thor yp]# make
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/var/yp/theseus.com'
gmake[1]: `ypservers' is up to date.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/var/yp/theseus.com'
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/var/yp/theseus.com'
Updating netid.byname...
netid.byname->intranet.theseus.com: Callback timed out
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/var/yp/theseus.com'

[root@intranet yp]# /usr/lib/yp/init -s thor.theseus.com
Can't enumerate maps from thor. Please check that it is running.

I have verified "portmap" and "ypbind" are running on both systems
and "ypserv" and "yppasswdd" are running on thor.  I have also
tried starting (and stopping) "ypserv" on intranet and reran "make"
on thor, as well as "init" on intranet.  I've also tried not using
the FQDN in the /var/yp/ypservers file and after the -s (e.g., just
thor and intranet without the .theseus.com attached).

The only other issues I can think of are:
 - I setup /var/yp/securenets on both (correctly I believe)
 - I have existing Linux 2.2 (all RedHat 6.1/6.2), Solaris 2.6
clients binding to the NIS domain (c/o thor).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  This is the first time I
have ever tried setting up a slave system, although I have setup
a standalone NIS server on RedHat almost a dozen times (although I
would say I have yet to get the full sequence of events correct on
the first try ;-).

-- TheBS

P.S.  I was wondering where I should put "rpc.ypxfrd" in
the "/etc/rc.d/init.d/ypserv" init script on thor if I'd like to use
it (before or after "ypserv" starts?  and stops?).  It looks like I
have to manually add it (since the assumed default in the RedHat
scripts seem to be for single server setups).  Also, any reason
why I should or should not use it (either or)?

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith                            CONTACT INFO