Re: GE adaptor with jumbo frames

mikael,

i'm not super familiar with the netgear versions of the cards but here's
the basic deal:  alteon makes the acenic cards based on the tigon (and now
tigon2) chipset that they bought from essential communications in
albuquerque.  the tigon chipset is then licensed to netgear and 3com (and
one other vendor, i think).

the alteon cards support jumbo frames, but they may have replaced the mac
or just made different use of the mac in the firmward.  if the netgear
cards don't support jumbo frames, it would be worth it to figure out if
they just dont' support it in their shipping drivers (on windows, eg) or
whether it's a limitation of the MAC or GMII that they are using (that is
somehow different from what alteon ships with the acenic).

i don't know the answer to these questions but i'm interested in hearing
what you find out.

todd

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 07:51:33 +0200 (MEST)
> From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>
> To: Todd <todd@unm.edu>
> Cc: linux-net@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: GE adaptor with jumbo frames
>
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Todd wrote:
>
> > mikael,
> >
> > the alteon acenic cards support jumbo frames (of up to 9018 bytes, a bit
> > smaller than you were hoping for) and the driver, written by jes sorenson,
> > works well under linux.
> >
> > as an extra, added bonus, the firmware for these cards is open source and
> > compilable with patched versions of gcc/gas (they're mips based cards) so
> > you can really muck around with them to your heart's content.
>
> Thanks for the answer. I checked out the source and saw the Netgear TA620
> supported by the acenic driver and I ordered two such cards. Before I
> sent the first email to linux-net I fired away a question to
> support@netgear.com about their card supporting jumbo frames and they have
> now answered me that they do NOT support jumbo frames.
>
> Do they not know what they're talking about, or is it only some acenic
> cards that are supported, or do the acenic driver support several cards
> that are quite different?
>
> --
> Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se
>
> -

Todd Underwood, todd@unm.edu

criticaltv.com  criticalfashion.com
news, analysis and criticism.  about tv.  about fashion.
and other stuff.