Re: GE adaptor with jumbo frames

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Todd wrote:

> mikael,
>
> the alteon acenic cards support jumbo frames (of up to 9018 bytes, a bit
> smaller than you were hoping for) and the driver, written by jes sorenson,
> works well under linux.
>
> as an extra, added bonus, the firmware for these cards is open source and
> compilable with patched versions of gcc/gas (they're mips based cards) so
> you can really muck around with them to your heart's content.

Thanks for the answer. I checked out the source and saw the Netgear TA620
supported by the acenic driver and I ordered two such cards. Before I
sent the first email to linux-net I fired away a question to
support@netgear.com about their card supporting jumbo frames and they have
now answered me that they do NOT support jumbo frames.

Do they not know what they're talking about, or is it only some acenic
cards that are supported, or do the acenic driver support several cards
that are quite different?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se

-