Re: GE adaptor with jumbo frames

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Todd wrote:

> i'm not super familiar with the netgear versions of the cards but here's
> the basic deal:  alteon makes the acenic cards based on the tigon (and now
> tigon2) chipset that they bought from essential communications in
> albuquerque.  the tigon chipset is then licensed to netgear and 3com (and
> one other vendor, i think).

You might have that a little wrong.  I wrote a driver for the Ess-Com boards
in early 1998, just before they dropped the product.  There seemed to be
some bad blood between Ess-Com and Alteon about who cribbed which design
elements from whom, and what the design team took with them when they left.

I still have two of Ess-Com cards on my Gig-E rack. Ess-Com was in the
HIPPI adapter business, and both the hardware and firmware looked much like
the HIPPI boards.  Ess-Com decided that Gig-E wouldn't have the margins they
were used to with HIPPI, and dropped out of the Ethernet business.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations
Annapolis MD 21403

-