Re: PCI scan problems in 2.2.16

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Allen K. Smith wrote:

> Why are these drivers enforcing policy like this? Policy is for me, the
> sysadmin, not the driver.

The kernel is presenting network interfaces using a uniform API.  The name
to refer to an interface usually looks like eth%d, and the names are issued
in sequence using a well-defined, fixed, order.  That is a mechanism.

If you want a feature such as "the interface associated with PCI bus 0
device 5 is named 'susan'", you can write a user-level program 'my-ifconfig'
to lookup the name and map it to the kernel's name.  The would be policy.

You *do not* need kernel support to do this. You probably could prototype it
with a shell script in ten minutes.  More likely ten hours to work out the
semantics and eight minutes of coding.

> BIOS manufacturers have realised this by
> allowing me to choose boot device order, which video card is primary,
> etc. It would be nice if linux drivers provided at least this kind of
> basic policy control to the sysadmin.

Bahhh.  The BIOS doesn't let me say "I want to boot from the disk with
serial number 01A4434E", or "the video card in slot 3 is the boot screen".

> > Patch below does reordering. Unfortunately, eepro100 driver uses chip-type
> > based ordering and not slot based, so if on-board chip type differs from

This is because you are looking at an old driver that was improperly
modified.  That old driver originally only looked for the i82557, and
whoever changed itto recognized the new chips didn't understand the issues.
The current driver is at
   http://www.scyld.com/network/eepro100.html
and uses 'pci-scan'.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations
Annapolis MD 21403

-