Re: 2nd reality not working

It's very possible that it doesn't work on a new pc very well (in dos,
not windows :)

The direct hardware access will all be things that dosemu
does/should/will one day
virtualise (e.g. sound blaster, direct access to the screen).
- after all a lot of dos programs run "close to the metal".

Demos are good to test as they push what was possible at the time so are good
for finding parts that we don't emulate well yet.

Noticing you mentioned that it does work, just slowly I thought I'd
give it a go:
  It is very slow (about 1 fps)
     (possible some sort of timeing issue(?))
  - It says 'ERROR: PCM "Sound Output: SDL device" out of sync' a lot

  Sometimes the screen is just white

Some screens have 4 images, offset by one pixel in the Y direction, suggesting
they are using some strange ModeX that we don't support properly.

For comparison I tried in dosbox, where it seemed to be fullspeed.  I
didn't manage to
get the sound working, but didn't try too hard.

Ideally we'd have something like the wine application database so this
doesn't go
into the ticket clutter.
http://appdb.winehq.org/
Which lists apps and how well they work (or any hacks/fixes to make them work).
- Each app has app-maintainers, when a new release happens they test their apps
to see how well they work.
-- The main problem is whether we'd have the people power to keep something like
that properly maintained.

The other thing they do well is a compatability testing -
Tests are written and run on windows, then new code in wine should act in the
same way as windows - idealy we could do the same, but share the code
with dosbox and JPC so all the emulators could improve the tests (and by
passing them the compatability).