Re: depends command

On 6/24/09, Andreas Robinson <andr345@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is just to let you know that I haven't dropped the ball on the soft
> dependency command. It isn't ready to be reviewed, much less merged, but
> it might serve as a few minutes idle reading.
>
> http://github.com/andr345/module-init-tools/commits/modprobe-softdep/
>
> Cheers,
> Andreas

Cool.  I happen to be rather idle.

> The following changes since commit
> 9ded2725bf85c782cdceb078dd61b31f2cecb5c7:
>   Jon Masters (1):
>         doc: link depmod.d to depmod.conf also
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   http://github.com/andr345/module-init-tools.git modprobe-softdep
>
> Andreas Robinson (6):
>       modprobe: add forked do_modprobe() wrapper

I hope you find a way to survive softdep errors without forking, as
the changelog says this is a workaround :-).  It should be ok to exit
on ENOMEM, and modprobe -a already knows how to continue on errors.

>       modprobe: reduce nesting in conf parser
>       modprobe: trivial whitespace/indentation fixes in conf parser

>       modprobe: put configuration objects in a struct

Neat!  I think this idea is a great cleanup in it's own right.

I noticed this

+    struct modprobe_conf conf;
+    memset(&conf, 0, sizeof(struct modprobe_conf));

- personally I'm rigid and would always put a blank line between
declarations and code :-).  In case you didn't know, there is a
shorter equivalent which you might like

    struct modprobe_conf conf = {};

>       modprobe: implement softdep conf command
>       modprobe: add softdep loop detector

AFAICS softdeps aren't triggered by aliases in this implementation.
So they won't apply to modules loaded during udev startup ("coldplug"
aka udevadm trigger).  They aren't triggered by normal deps either.
lt looks like they're not a strict replacement for install commands
which run modprobe - and they seem largely pointless.

Do you have some examples where softdeps would be useful even with
these limitations?  The idea is to replace existing install commands
(or avoid the need for new ones), right?

The only install commands I know about are the (obsolescent) oss
emulation modules for alsa.  For these modules softdeps don't seem to
help much.  If you would have to add an explicit "modprobe snd-pcm" to
trigger its softdep, it would be better to just do "modprobe
snd-pcm-oss" instead.

> TODOs:
> * Write a bunch of tests and debug.
> * Update the documentation.
> * Fix any conflicts with Jon's tree when Michal's fixes are in.

Thanks
Alan