Re: depends command

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 11:34 +0100, Alan Jenkins wrote:
> On 6/1/09, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 00:15, Andreas Robinson <andr345@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> depends _modulename_ _dependency1_ _dependency2_ ...
> >>
> >> This command allows you to add one or more additional dependencies to a
> >> module. *modprobe* will attempt to insert them in order, from left to
> >> right, before dealing with _modulename_. If any dependency fails to
> >> install, *modprobe* will stop, unless it was already in the kernel or
> >> blacklisted.
> >
> > I guess we should not fail, like in case the module is not compiled
> > for the current kernel, all should work just fine. In many cases
> > "depends" will be used to make sure that the module listed as a
> > dependency will work correctly, and not that the loaded module would
> > fail if the dependency is not resolved.
> >
> >> *modprobe* treats each module as if it had been specified on the command
> >> line. Thus, _modulename_ and any of the dependency names can be aliases
> >> and the dependencies can have their own *depends* commands. *modprobe*
> >> will stop if it finds a circular dependency.
> >
> > Sounds good.
> >
> >> ------
> >>
> >> Comments are very much welcomed. If you know of any useful synonyms for
> >> "dependency" that'd be neat too. It's not that this text is meant to be
> >> poetry, but some variety would be nice. :)
> >
> > Hmm, since we don't really "depend" on another module in most cases,
> > we might want something like "softdepend", prerequire", "preload"?.

I like "softdepend". It leads to the noun "softdep".
One softdep, several softdeps ...

> > Thanks,
> > Kay
>
> pre- something sounds like a good idea.  Because I think we want
> post-<something> as well.
>
> $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/oss-compat
> install snd-pcm modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm $CMDLINE_OPTS && {
> modprobe --quiet snd-pcm-oss ; : ; }
>
> I don't know if this specific config is sane, but I think it makes
> sense in general.  snd-pcm-oss is optional, but the idea is that users
> may be surprised if it is not loaded.  It has to be loaded _after_
> snd-pcm, because it depends on it.

How about "pre-requisites" or "prereqs" for the modules that are loaded
before and either "post-requisites", "postreqs" (which isn't a real word
unfortunately), or "supplements" for what comes after.

With this vocabulary, the new syntax would look like this:

softdepend modname [ --pre softdep ... ] [ --post softdep ... ]

and your example would be written as

softdepend snd-pcm --post snd-pcm-oss

/Andreas