Re: depends command

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 10:14 +0100, Alan Jenkins wrote:
> On 6/13/09, Andreas Robinson <andr345@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Here they are:
> >
> > git://github.com/andr345/module-init-tools.git modprobe_main
> >
> > The option-handling patches were merged before.
> >
> > Andreas Robinson (5)
> >     modprobe: trivial code reorganization
> >     modprobe: rename some option variables
>
> More naming fun :-).

I appreciate your patience. :-) And thanks for reviewing.

> "ignore_inuse" seems misleading.  It's more like "ignore_loaded".

Fixed.

> >     modprobe: remove broken -w option

... and I've deleted the docmentation now too. Nice catch btw. I had
completely forgotten about that.

> >     modprobe: merge option flags into a single parameter
>
> > +static void rmmod(modprobe_flags_t flags,
>
> Conventionally, the "flags" argument goes at the end of the list.

Fixed.

> > -      dry_run = 1;
> > -      ignore_inuse = 1;
> > +      flags |= mit_dry_run | mit_ignore_inuse;
>
> Please can has
>
>       flags |= mit_dry_run;
>       flags |= mit_ignore_inuse;

Fixed.

> >     modprobe: move modprobing from main() into separate function.
>
> Apart from these comments, it looks reasonable.  I do feel funny when
> I see do_insmod / rmmod taking some flags which they ignore (e.g.
> mit_remove).  We could do something like
>
> #define RMMOD_FLAGS (mit_dry_run | ...)
>
> either just before the definition of do_rmmod, or as part of the enum
> definition.  Then use "do_rmmod(... flags & RMMOD_FLAGS)".  But that's
> just an idea, I'm not certain it's an improvement.

I was thinking along the same lines, but couldn't decide either. Let's
just leave it the way it is, unless Jon thinks otherwise.

Ok, let's try this pull-request thing:

The following changes since commit 22604fda4de92559b108cde7df298a5d0627fa0e:
  Alan Jenkins (1):
        modindex: simplify option handling

are available in the git repository at:

  git://github.com/andr345/module-init-tools.git modprobe_main

Andreas Robinson (7):
      modprobe: trivial code reorganization
      modprobe: rename some option variables
      modprobe: remove broken -w option
      modprobe: merge option flags into a single parameter
      modprobe: move modprobing from main() into separate function.
      doc: delete modprobe -w option documentation
      modprobe: fix various simple style issues related to the option flags

 doc/modprobe.sgml |   14 -

Cheers,
Andreas