Re: depends command

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 14:57 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 14:43 +0100, Alan Jenkins wrote:
> > Andreas Robinson wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 11:34 +0100, Alan Jenkins wrote:
>
> > > How about "pre-requisites" or "prereqs" for the modules that are loaded
> > > before and either "post-requisites", "postreqs" (which isn't a real word
> > > unfortunately), or "supplements" for what comes after.
>
> I like the idea. I really want to kill those damned "install" abuses.
> Also, then things like `modprobe --show-depends blah` will work
> correctly for e.g. mkinitrd dependency generation.
>
> The question is that we should probably also include such hints upstream
> rather than encouraging config file entries for common "soft dependency
> information". So a mixture of both.
>
> > > With this vocabulary, the new syntax would look like this:
> > >
> > > softdepend modname [ --pre softdep ... ] [ --post softdep ... ]
> > >
> > > and your example would be written as
> > >
> > > softdepend snd-pcm --post snd-pcm-oss
> > >

> > Sounds good to me.  Maybe it's a little verbose, but we can only spend
> > so much time debating names :-).
>
> Let's go with something like that. Andreas - do you have patches for
> this that I have not received yet, or just the idea so far?

Just the idea so far, I haven't had any time to work on it for the past
week. :-p

I have a few groundwork patches that moves the actual modprobing from
main() to a new function called do_modprobe(), that could replace the
system() calls:

typedef enum
{
	mit_remove = 1,
	mit_dry_run = 2,
	mit_first_time = 4,
	mit_use_blacklist = 8,
	mit_ignore_commands = 16,
	mit_ignore_inuse = 32,
	mit_strip_vermagic = 64,
	mit_strip_modversion = 128

} modprobe_flags_t;

int do_modprobe(modprobe_flags_t flags,
		errfn_t error,
		char *modname,
		char *newname,
		char *cmdline_opts,
		const char *configname,
		const char *dirname,
		const char *aliasfilename,
		const char *symfilename);

I'll adapt the patches to Alan's work and post them later today.

/Andreas