Re: depends command

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 14:43 +0100, Alan Jenkins wrote:
> Andreas Robinson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 11:34 +0100, Alan Jenkins wrote:

> > How about "pre-requisites" or "prereqs" for the modules that are loaded
> > before and either "post-requisites", "postreqs" (which isn't a real word
> > unfortunately), or "supplements" for what comes after.

I like the idea. I really want to kill those damned "install" abuses.
Also, then things like `modprobe --show-depends blah` will work
correctly for e.g. mkinitrd dependency generation.

The question is that we should probably also include such hints upstream
rather than encouraging config file entries for common "soft dependency
information". So a mixture of both.

> > With this vocabulary, the new syntax would look like this:
> >
> > softdepend modname [ --pre softdep ... ] [ --post softdep ... ]
> >
> > and your example would be written as
> >
> > softdepend snd-pcm --post snd-pcm-oss
> >

> Sounds good to me.  Maybe it's a little verbose, but we can only spend
> so much time debating names :-).

Let's go with something like that. Andreas - do you have patches for
this that I have not received yet, or just the idea so far?

Thanks,

Jon.