Re: i.mx6 camera interface (CSI) and mainline kernel

Hi Steve,

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 08:19:55AM +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 03/03/2016 03:02 AM, Steve Longerbeam wrote:
> > On 02/25/2016 02:05 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> >> Hello Philippe,
> >>
> >> CC'ing Philipp and Steve.
> >>
> >> Philipp, Steve, are you still interested in getting a driver for the i.MX6
> >> camera interface upstreamed ?
> >
> > Hi Laurent, Philippe(s),
> >
> > I spent a few days updating my mx6-media-staging branch at

First of all, thank you very much, Steve.

> > git@xxxxxxxxxx:slongerbeam/linux-meibp-314.git, moved forward
> > to latest master at 4.5-rc3.

Just to be sure : do you mean  https://github.com/slongerbeam/mediatree.git
or something else ?

> > So far I have retested video capture with the SabreAuto/ADV7180 and
> > the SabreSD/OV5640-mipi-csi2, and video capture is working fine on
> > those platforms.
> >
> > There is also a mem2mem that should work fine, but haven't tested yet.
> >
> > I removed camera preview support. At Mentor Graphics we have made
> > quite a few changes to ipu-v3 driver to allow camera preview to initialize
> > and control an overlay display plane independently of imx-drm, by adding
> > a subsystem independent ipu-plane sub-unit. Note we also have a video
> > output overlay driver that also makes use of ipu-plane. But those changes are
> > extensive and touch imx-drm as well as ipu-v3, so I am leaving camera preview
> > and the output overlay driver out (in fact, camera preview is not of much
> > utility so I probably won't bring it back in upstream version).
> >
> > The video capture driver is not quite ready for upstream review yet. It still:
> >
> > - uses the old cropping APIs but should move forward to selection APIs.
> >
> > - uses custom sensor subdev drivers for ADV7180 and OV564x. Still
> >   need to switch to upstream subdevs.

Is it only a problem of those sensor drivers (which exact files ?) or
is it a problem of the capture driver itself ?

I must update a sensor driver I wrote for the intdev interface found
in the freescale kernel, and I'd like to start from a working subdev
example.  Which driver should I choose as an example ?

> > - still does not implement the media device framework.
>
> After fixing the first two items on that list, would that be a good time to
> add this driver to staging?
>
> i.MX6 is quite popular, so having support for this device upstream would be
> very nice indeed.
>
> I'd really like to see some upstream support for this SoC soon.

There are a bunch of people expecting that (and trying to help) :)

Best regards

Philippe

> Regards,
>
> 	Hans
>

> > Steve

> > --

Philippe De Muyter +32 2 6101532 Macq SA rue de l'Aeronef 2 B-1140 Bruxelles