Re: i.mx6 camera interface (CSI) and mainline kernel

On 03/03/2016 03:02 AM, Steve Longerbeam wrote:
> On 02/25/2016 02:05 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
>> Hello Philippe,
>>
>> CC'ing Philipp and Steve.
>>
>> Philipp, Steve, are you still interested in getting a driver for the i.MX6
>> camera interface upstreamed ?
>
> Hi Laurent, Philippe(s),
>
> I spent a few days updating my mx6-media-staging branch at
> git@xxxxxxxxxx:slongerbeam/linux-meibp-314.git, moved forward
> to latest master at 4.5-rc3.
>
> So far I have retested video capture with the SabreAuto/ADV7180 and
> the SabreSD/OV5640-mipi-csi2, and video capture is working fine on
> those platforms.
>
> There is also a mem2mem that should work fine, but haven't tested yet.
>
> I removed camera preview support. At Mentor Graphics we have made
> quite a few changes to ipu-v3 driver to allow camera preview to initialize
> and control an overlay display plane independently of imx-drm, by adding
> a subsystem independent ipu-plane sub-unit. Note we also have a video
> output overlay driver that also makes use of ipu-plane. But those changes are
> extensive and touch imx-drm as well as ipu-v3, so I am leaving camera preview
> and the output overlay driver out (in fact, camera preview is not of much
> utility so I probably won't bring it back in upstream version).
>
> The video capture driver is not quite ready for upstream review yet. It still:
>
> - uses the old cropping APIs but should move forward to selection APIs.
>
> - uses custom sensor subdev drivers for ADV7180 and OV564x. Still
>   need to switch to upstream subdevs.
>
> - still does not implement the media device framework.

After fixing the first two items on that list, would that be a good time to
add this driver to staging?

i.MX6 is quite popular, so having support for this device upstream would be
very nice indeed.

I'd really like to see some upstream support for this SoC soon.

Regards,

	Hans