daily tarballs of dtv-scan-tables - was Re: [RFC] Initial scan files troubles and brainstorming

Hi Oliver,

Em Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:39:37 -0200
Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Em Thu, 10 Jan 2013 23:57:42 +0100
> Oliver Schinagl <oliver+list@xxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> > Personally, I'd say date based would be best. After each commit a new
> > tarball should be created. Since it's not 'code' that changes, but
> > factual data, any change warrants a release. So
> > dtv-scan-files-2013011.tar.bz2/xz and is common?
> >
> > if for any reason a second release is needed on the same date ... too
> > bad :p it's extremly unlikly anyway and can be done the next day's date.
> > Or add an index after the date.
>
> To re-use the existing script, you'll need to create a Makefile target
> to generate such tar. The script runs once during the night, comparing the
> previous commit hash with the current one. If different, it creates a new
> tarball.
>
> The Makefile there could be as simple as:
>
> tgz:
> 	git archive --format tgz HEAD >dtv-scan-files-`date +"%Y%m%d.%H:%M"`.tar.gz
>
> The above is for tar.gz - I don't object if you want to use a different
> compression provided that there are just one format. You may need to play
> a little bit with git config files, to add support for xz and bz2.

I found some time today to implement a script to generate the tarball
files for dtv-scan-tables at the LinuxTV server.

The script runs daily, checking if there was any new changeset at the
repository. If it finds a new changeset there, it will take the date
and the changeset of the latest commit at the tree and them as part of
the tarball name, adding them to the following directory:

	http://linuxtv.org/downloads/dtv-scan-tables/

The script will also create an hyperlink of the latest tarball at:
	dtv-scan-tables-LATEST.tar.bz2

Every time a new file is added there, it will also update the md5sum file,
that could be used by someone to check the downloads.

Regards,
Mauro