Re: [RFC] Initial scan files troubles and brainstorming

Em Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:51:29 +0100
Oliver Schinagl <oliver+list@xxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Anyway, fighting about it won't help anyone

Agreed. From my side, don't expect further comments. That's hopefully
my last email on this thread.

Oliver,

You owns your time. So, it is really your call.

>From my side, I appreciate your efforts on keep maintaining it.

I don't really care if this is done as a separate tree and/or together
with dvb-apps, although, except for the scan files, the dvb-apps seem
pretty much orphaned for a long time. So, among other reasons, IMHO
it is better to keep it forked.

In any case, reimporting the files from an external tree is easy. It is
equally easy to add a script at dvb-apps and on other applications that
would take a tarball of it and copy the files there. We do that approach
on v4l-utils, in order to sync it with kernel headers and kernel IR scancode
tables, as we do need new headers there during development, and users do
need the very latest IR scancode tables.

If you decide to keep it in separate, I recommend you to add there some
version schema to make easier for distributions that may want to add
a package there, for them to track when this gets updated.

Also, just like what we do with media-build's "todaytar" target, it may
also make some sense to have an script running at linuxtv.org that would
create daily tarballs when a new commit is merged there, or when a new tag
is added. That would help to have scripts at applications to sync with
the latest files.

If you decide to either drop the tree or to add such tarball script
at the server, please ping me.

--

Cheers,
Mauro