Re: [RFC] Initial scan files troubles and brainstorming

Em Fri, 11 Jan 2013 01:12:33 +0000
Jonathan McCrohan <jmccrohan@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:55:28 +0100, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
> > Actually, there's plenty of apps etc that depend on it. I know some
> > distro's install it into /usr/share/dvb for all to use. I think actually
> > only a very small handfull use their own scanfiles. Very small handfull
> > I belive ;)
>
> Indeed. I have just gone to file an Intent To Package bug for the
> dtv-scan-tables package in Debian, but I noticed that the COPYING and
> README files were not split out from the dvb-apps tree.
>
> Logically it would follow that dtv-scan-tables is also licenced under
> LGPL, the same as dvb-apps, but this needs to be stated explicitly.
> This is especially true for distributions which be redistributing
> dtv-scan-tables.

As this is currently a copy of the dvb-apps, and the other patches added
there are sent meant to be merged at dvb-apps, the license that applies
on it should be inherited.

That's said, this is just database entries where the values were obtained
from a public service. Anyone else with access to the same
transponders/carriers would be obtaining the very same data. So, I don't
think that copyright law applies here. IANAL, but it sounds to me
that such info would be public domain.

Yet, to avoid legal issues, I suggest to copy the COPYING from
the dvb-apps tree. Also, sooner or later a Makefile will likely be added
there, and maybe some ancillary scripts. So, it makes sense to state
the license there anyway.

Regards,
Mauro