Re: [RFC] Initial scan files troubles and brainstorming

On 1/11/13, Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

>>> That does not make sense at all -- why? Duplicated stuff always hurts.
>>

>> The scan files and config files are very specific to dvb-apps, some
>> applications
>> do rely on these config files. It doesn't really make sense to have
>> split out config
>> files for these  small applications.

>>> What development purposes, could you be more specific? You can still use
>>> git submodules if really needed. But as it stands I do not see a reason
>>> for that at all...
>>

>> Did you think that the dvb-apps just came out of thin air ?
>>
>> development of dvb-applications, implies eventually config files also
>> will be updated as necessary. Having them in separate repositories
>> makes such work harder for working.
>> while working with dvb-apps, it would make things saner if it is the
>> same SCM, rather
>> than having different SCM's. So according to you, you want to make it
>> still harder for someone to work with dvb-apps.
>>

>> Manu
>
> Manu,
>
> I see great value in separating the history of the data files from the
> code files.  If you really think this is such a terrible task for a
> developer to have to pull from a second repository to fetch these data
> files, then I find no reason why we couldn't script it such that
> building the dvb-apps package would trigger the pull from the
> additional repository.
>
> I think that's a fair compromise.

 As someone who has long been working with dvb-apps, I see no value
in this, but just pain altogether. For people who have never worked with it,
they can say anything what they want, which makes no sense at all.

> Meanwhile, your argument is for developers.  Developers can handle
> pulling from a separated tree for data files who shouldn't be clouding
> the history of source code development, anyway.  Developers are indeed
> used to dealing with multiple repositories, and if any developer
> isn't, then now is the time to get with the program!

It isn't that way. Users have to deal with 2 repositories as well. Anyway,
the repository is not having that many developers to state that developers
can handle all the burden. It is just but the reverse.

Manu