Legallity of dtv-scan-tables Was: [RFC] Initial scan files troubles and brainstorming

On 11-01-13 02:12, Jonathan McCrohan wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:55:28 +0100, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
Actually, there's plenty of apps etc that depend on it. I know some
distro's install it into /usr/share/dvb for all to use. I think actually
only a very small handfull use their own scanfiles. Very small handfull
I belive ;)
Indeed. I have just gone to file an Intent To Package bug for the
dtv-scan-tables package in Debian, but I noticed that the COPYING and
README files were not split out from the dvb-apps tree.
If some have any pointers in what would be logical in the readme, i'll whip one up this afternoon.

but copying is an interesting point.

Logically it would follow that dtv-scan-tables is also licenced under
LGPL, the same as dvb-apps, but this needs to be stated explicitly.
This is especially true for distributions which be redistributing
dtv-scan-tables.
I don't think it is that logical actually. Remember the ntpd fiasco a few months back? Where some company claimed they had copyright on factual data?

This is as far as I can tell, factual data. A Satellite or Antenna is configured to broadcast in a certain way, the scan tables are a collection of this data. They get to us from volunteers who either scan for them or find 'official' docs from the broadcaster and re-arrange it to something useful to us.....

So who owns this data? Can it be licensed as GPL? Falls it under the Public Domain by default?

Personally, I think that the copyright license applied to the actual source code, but not the scan tables.

Thanks,
Jon
Oliver