Re: [RFC] Resolution change support in video codecs in v4l2

Hi Mauro,

On Tuesday 06 December 2011 16:40:11 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> On 06-12-2011 13:19, Kamil Debski wrote:

> >> As already said, a simple flag may give this meaning. Alternatively (or
> >> complementary, an event may be generated, containing the new format).

> >> No. STREAMOFF is always used to stop the stream. We can't make it mean
> >> otherwise.
> >>
> >> So, after calling it, application should assume that frames will be
> >> lost, while the DMA engine doesn't start again.

For live capture devices, sure, but we're talking about memory-to-memory here.
If the hardware is stopped compressed buffers on the OUTPUT queue won't be
decoded anymore, and userspace won't be able to queue more buffers to the
driver. There will be no frame loss on the kernel side.

> > Do you mean all buffers or just those that are queued in hardware?
>
> Of course the ones queued.
>
> > What has been processed stays processed, it should not matter to the
> > buffers that have been processed.
>
> Sure.
>
> > The compressed buffer that is queued in the driver and that caused the
> > resolution change is on the OUTPUT queue.
>
> Not necessarily. If the buffer is smaller than the size needed for the
> resolution change, what is there is trash, as it could be a partially
> filled buffer or an empty buffer, depending if the driver detected about
> the format change after or before start filling it.

Were's talking about video decoding. On the OUTPUT queue the driver receives
compressed buffers. At some point the compressed buffers contain information
to notifies the driver and/or hardware of a resolution change in the
compressed stream. At the point the buffers on the CAPTURE queue might not be
suitable anymore, but there's no issue with buffers on the OUTPUT queue. If
STREAMOFF is then called on the CAPTURE queue only, buffers already queued on
the OUTPUT queue will stay queued.

> > STREMOFF is only done on the CAPTURE queue, so it stays queued and
> > information is retained.
> >
> >  From CAPTURE all processed buffers have already been dequeued, so yes
> >  the content of the buffers queued in hw is lost. But this is ok, because
> >  after the resolution change the previous frames are not used in
> >  prediction.
>
> No. According with the spec:
>
> 	The VIDIOC_STREAMON and VIDIOC_STREAMOFF ioctl start and stop the capture
> or output process during streaming (memory mapping or user pointer) I/O.
>
> 	Specifically the capture hardware is disabled and no input buffers are
> filled (if there are any empty buffers in the incoming queue) until
> VIDIOC_STREAMON has been called. Accordingly the output hardware is
> disabled, no video signal is produced until VIDIOC_STREAMON has been
> called. The ioctl will succeed only when at least one output buffer is in
> the incoming queue.
>
> 	The VIDIOC_STREAMOFF ioctl, apart of aborting or finishing any DMA in
> progress, unlocks any user pointer buffers locked in physical memory, and
> it removes all buffers from the incoming and outgoing queues. That means
> all images captured but not dequeued yet will be lost, likewise all images
> enqueued for output but not transmitted yet. I/O returns to the same state
> as after calling VIDIOC_REQBUFS and can be restarted accordingly.

That doesn't tell much about the STREAMON/STREAMOFF behaviour for memory-to-
memory devices. This is what we need to clarify.

> > My initial idea was to acknowledge the resolution change by G_FMT.
> > Later in our chat it had evolved into S_FMT. Then it mutated into
> > STREAMOFF/STREAMON on the CAPTURE queue.
>
> Why application should ack with it? If the application doesn't ack, it can
> just send a VIDIOC_STREAMOFF. If application doesn't do it, and the buffer
> size is enough to proceed, the hardware should just keep doing the DMA
> transfers and assume that the applications are OK.

Because the driver must *not* start decoding the new resolution until it gets
an ack from the application to do so. The application *must* be allowed to
change the buffer size, even if the already allocated buffers are of a
suitable size. Without an ack mechanism, the driver/hardware will start
decoding the new resolution to the already allocated buffers before the
application has a chance to stop the stream and reallocate new buffers.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart