RE: [RFC] Resolution change support in video codecs in v4l2

Hi,

In this use case it would be good to setup the encoder to use as little
reference frames as possible. The lesser reference frames are used the shorter
is the delay. The stream used for video conferencing should definitely be
different
from the one used in DVD/Blu-ray.

Also you can set the display delay to 0 then you will get the frames as soon as
possible, but it's up to the application to display them in the right order and
to make sure that they are not modified.

> > > Alternatively one could allocate the double number of buffers required.
> > > At 1080p and 16 buffers this could be roughly 66 MB. Additionally,
> > > starting the playback is delayed for the duration for the decoding of
> > > those frames. I think we should not force users to do so.
> >
> > I really don't think it is necessary to allocate twice as many buffers.
> > Assuming that hw needs K buffers you may alloc N (= K + L) and the
> > application may use all these L buffers at a time.

Best wishes,
--
Kamil Debski
Linux Platform Group