RE: [RFC] Resolution change support in video codecs in v4l2

Do you mean all buffers or just those that are queued in hardware?
What has been processed stays processed, it should not matter to the buffers
that have been processed.

The compressed buffer that is queued in the driver and that caused the resolution
change is on the OUTPUT queue. STREMOFF is only done on the CAPTURE queue, so it
stays queued and information is retained.

>From CAPTURE all processed buffers have already been dequeued, so yes the content of
the buffers queued in hw is lost. But this is ok, because after the resolution change
the previous frames are not used in prediction.

My initial idea was to acknowledge the resolution change by G_FMT.
Later in our chat it had evolved into S_FMT. Then it mutated into
STREAMOFF/STREAMON on the CAPTURE queue.

> For things like MPEG decoders, Hans proposed an ioctl, that could use to
> pause
> and continue the decoding.

This still could be useful... But processing will also pause when hw runs out
of buffers. It will be resumed after the application consumes/produces new
buffers and enqueue them.

> > I'd still return a specific error when the size changes since it's more
> > explicit that something is not right, rather than just a flag. But if I'm
> > alone in thinking so I won't insist.
> >
> > Regards,

Best wishes,
--