Re: [ANNOUNCE] git tree repositories & libv4l

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 02/24/2010 07:05 AM, Brandon Philips wrote:

>>> I see good, thanks! Can someone (Douglas ?) with better hg / git
>>> powers then me please somehow import all the libv4l changes from:
>>> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~hgoede/libv4l
>>>
>>> Once that is done I'll retire my own tree, and move all my userspace
>>> work to the git tree.
>>>
>>> For starters I plan to create / modify Makefiles so that everything
>>> will build out of the box, and has proper make install targets which
>>> can be used by distro's
>>>
>>> So:
>>> -proper honoring of CFLAGS
>>> -work with standard (and possibly somewhat older kernel headers)
>>> -honor DESTDIR, PREFIX and LIBDIR when doing make install
>>
>> Do you still want me to convert to autoconf? I was still planning on
>> doing that. We discussed it a month ago when this conversation
>> started.
>>
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/15009
>>

> I know that was mentioned then, but re-thinking this, as this will all
> be Linux specific, I don't really see a need for autotools atm, and as
> I personally find autotools a bit overcomplicated. I would like to try
> just using plain Makefiles for now. If it turns out this does not work
> we can always switch to autotools later.

I suspect it won't work fine. There are some library dependencies at
utils/contrib, like libsysfs and libqt stuff. The build system should or
refuse to compile or disable some of those tools if the dependencies are
missing.

Of course you may create a non-autotools configure script that checks for
those libraries. They aren't many, so this approach works, but it will
likely require more time than using autotools.

Cheers,
Mauro