Re: [ANNOUNCE] git tree repositories & libv4l

Hi all,

On 01/21/2010 08:34 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
On Thursday 21 January 2010 03:46:05 Brandon Philips wrote:
On 00:07 Thu 21 Jan 2010, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
Brandon Philips wrote:
On 19:50 Wed 20 Jan 2010, Hans de Goede wrote:
On 01/20/2010 04:41 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
As we're discussing about having a separate tree for v4l2-apps,
maybe the better is to port it to -git (in a way that we can
preserve the log history).

I have a small script I used to convert the history of libv4l to
git. Let me know when we are ready to drop them from the hg tree
and I can do the conversion and post the result for review.

This is the result from the script for just libv4l:
  http://ifup.org/git/?p=libv4l.git;a=summary

Seems fine, but we need to import the entire v4l2-apps.

Yes, I know. I will run the script over v4l2-apps to generate a git
repo once v4l2-apps is ready to be dropped from v4l-dvb mercurial and
we figure out the directory layout.

Doing it before is just a waste of time since they will get out of
sync.

Also, I suggest we call the repo v4lutils? In the spirit of
usbutils, pciutils, etc.

Hmm... as dvb package is called as dvb-utils, it seems more logical to call it
v4l2-utils, but v4l2utils would equally work.

Yes, that is fine.

IMO, the better is to use v4l2 instead of just v4l, to avoid causing
any mess with the old v4l applications provided with xawtv.

The problem I saw was that libv4l1 will be in v4l2-utils. I don't care
either way though.

So here is how I see v4l-utils.git being laid out based on what others
have said:

  libv4l1/
  libv4l2/
  libv4lconvert/
  test/
  v4l2-dbg/
  contrib/
   qv4l2-qt3/
   qv4l2-qt4/
   cx25821/
   etc... everything else

Hmm. I think I would prefer to have a structure like this:

lib/
	libv4l1/
	libv4l2/
	libv4lconvert/
utils/
	v4l2-dbg
	v4l2-ctl
	cx18-ctl
	ivtv-ctl
contrib/
	test/
	everything else

And everything in lib and utils can be packaged by distros, while contrib
is not packaged.

+1 for this directory layout.

Regards,

Hans