Re: [PULL] http://kernellabs.com/hg/~mkrufky/sms1xxx

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Michael Krufky<mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Mauro Carvalho
> Chehab<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Em Sat, 1 Aug 2009 14:03:24 -0400
>> Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

>>> Thanks for applying the fix patch.
>>>
>>> Now, at least those devices will work again, but there is still a
>>> regression since the previous kernels supported the LED and LNA
>>> functionality that my next patch restores.
>>>
>>> Hopefully we will hear from Udi soon.
>>>
>>> Just to be clear, the patch that we'd like Udi's comments on is this one:
>>>
>>> http://kernellabs.com/hg/~mkrufky/sms1xxx/rev/tip
>>>
>>> As this code is in the smsdvb common code, it calls into sms-cards and
>>> will return harmlessly to the caller on the non-hauppauge devices.
>>> The functionality is only changed for those cards that have this
>>> functionality defined in the sms-cards.c structures.
>>>
>>> Hopefully, Udi can agree to merge this into the 2.6.31 kernel, while
>>> we can work on Siano's internal event interface for the next kernel.
>>> Once that is working perfectly, we can remove the patch that I'm
>>> proposing now, and convert the Hauppauge devices to the newer event
>>> interface.
>>
>> Since:
>>
>> a) the pull request were sent on Jul, 28;
>> b) we didn't have any answer from Siano up to today;
>> c) a closer analysis showed that this patch won't affect non Hauppauge devices;
>>
>> I'm merging the fix today.
>>
>> Udi, the better is to work at the event interface in a way that it won't cause
>> troubles with the existing Hauppauge devices. After having it done, we may just
>> remove the legacy SMS code
>
> Mauro,
>
> Thank you for merging the fixes.  Please be sure to send them both to
> Linus for the 2.6.31 kernel, as these patches actually fix regressions
> introduced only in this 2.6.31 kernel.
>
> Once the event interface works properly, I will be very happy to port
> the existing device-specific GPIO handling functionality to it.  This
> will be a nice improvement in flexibility and in code cleanliness.
>
> Udi, Please let me know once this is ready -- I look forward to the testing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike

Mauro,

Would you please send the final GPIO fix to Linus to fix the
regression on the Hauppauge devices.  2.6.31 is in -rc7 now, and I
would hate for this regression to not yet be solved before the kernel
is released.

I apologize for nagging -- I just prefer for fixes to be merged
upstream *before* a kernel release.

Thank you.

Just as a reminder, the changeset that is still waiting for upstream merge is:

* 	sms1xxx: restore GPIO functionality for all Hauppauge devices

Thanks & regards,

Mike Krufky