Re: [PULL] http://kernellabs.com/hg/~mkrufky/sms1xxx

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Mauro Carvalho
Chehab<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Em Sat, 1 Aug 2009 14:03:24 -0400
> Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Mauro Carvalho
>> Chehab<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Fair enough. I'll apply the patch. Yet, we should address with Udi what else is
>> > needed in order to sync their tree with ours without breaking support for any
>> > existing device.

>> > I'll add it on my next upstream changeset.
>>

>> Thanks for applying the fix patch.
>>
>> Now, at least those devices will work again, but there is still a
>> regression since the previous kernels supported the LED and LNA
>> functionality that my next patch restores.
>>
>> Hopefully we will hear from Udi soon.
>>
>> Just to be clear, the patch that we'd like Udi's comments on is this one:
>>
>> http://kernellabs.com/hg/~mkrufky/sms1xxx/rev/tip
>>
>> As this code is in the smsdvb common code, it calls into sms-cards and
>> will return harmlessly to the caller on the non-hauppauge devices.
>> The functionality is only changed for those cards that have this
>> functionality defined in the sms-cards.c structures.
>>
>> Hopefully, Udi can agree to merge this into the 2.6.31 kernel, while
>> we can work on Siano's internal event interface for the next kernel.
>> Once that is working perfectly, we can remove the patch that I'm
>> proposing now, and convert the Hauppauge devices to the newer event
>> interface.
>
> Since:
>
> a) the pull request were sent on Jul, 28;
> b) we didn't have any answer from Siano up to today;
> c) a closer analysis showed that this patch won't affect non Hauppauge devices;
>
> I'm merging the fix today.
>
> Udi, the better is to work at the event interface in a way that it won't cause
> troubles with the existing Hauppauge devices. After having it done, we may just
> remove the legacy SMS code

Mauro,

Thank you for merging the fixes.  Please be sure to send them both to
Linus for the 2.6.31 kernel, as these patches actually fix regressions
introduced only in this 2.6.31 kernel.

Once the event interface works properly, I will be very happy to port
the existing device-specific GPIO handling functionality to it.  This
will be a nice improvement in flexibility and in code cleanliness.

Udi, Please let me know once this is ready -- I look forward to the testing.

Regards,

Mike