Re: Fw: [PULL] http://kernellabs.com/hg/~mkrufky/sms1xxx

> From: Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Changeset 0842e3bae660 thoroughly breaks all of the Hauppauge devices
> that use the sms1xxx driver.  This changeset adds device specific
> changes that affect Hauppauge devices, ONLY.

[snip]

> The patchset removes the board event usage from the Hauppauge-specific
> device configuration, replacing with the older mechanism to handle
> board events.

[snip]

> These two changesets must be merged ASAP and sent to Linus for the
> 2.6.31 kernel.
>
> Please pull from:
>
> http://kernellabs.com/hg/~mkrufky/sms1xxx
>
> for the following fixes:
>
> - sms1xxx: fix broken Hauppauge devices
> - sms1xxx: restore GPIO functionality for all Hauppauge devices
>
>  sms-cards.c |  100 ----------------------------------------
>  smsdvb.c    |   44 +++++++++++++++++
>  2 files changed, 44 insertions(+), 100 deletions(-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Mauro Carvalho
Chehab<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Udi,
>
> Could you please review this patch and give your comments at the ML? We should
> avoid any regression on Linux Kernel, so, in principle, this patch should be
> merged. So, if this won't break non-Hauppauge devices, please ack.
>
> Cheers,
> Mauro.

Mauro,

Thank you for considering my pull request -- I agree that it would be
nice to have Udi's input on these changes, however, in reality, my
patchset does not add any new code -- it removes the broken code and
restores previous functionality.

As much as I'd like this to be merged as soon as possible, I do agree
that it would be reasonable to give Udi a chance to review it first.

Considering that the current driver is thoroughly broken, I ask that
while we wait for Udi's review, that you at least merge the first
changeset, that removes the broken code.

To avoid any need for you to do any cherry-picking, I have pushed a
separate repository with the broken code removal patch separately.

Please pull from:

http://kernellabs.com/hg/~mkrufky/sms1xxx-unbreak

for the following URGENT fix:

- sms1xxx: fix broken Hauppauge devices

 1 file changed, 100 deletions(-)

Please review this patch yourself -- you will see I am simply removing
Hauppauge-specific handling that was incorrectly added by Uri,
resulting in the crippling of these devices under Linux.

I cant stress enough how important it is that this changeset gets
merged upstream to Linus asap.  The 2.6.31-rc kernel is broken without
this change.

Regards,

Mike