Re: nfhd performance

Part of the problem is that ByteSwap = No setting.  Contrary to what one might
think, "No" there actually means "yes, byteswap every sector read or written".

Grep for byteswap in aranym's src/natfeat/xhdi.cpp if you don't believe me...

As far as I can tell, this setting is only meaningful if you have an image which
must be shared with actual HW, and you don't want to byteswap it when migrating
it between these two roles (HW or aranym).  I don't have that requirement, so I
run my aranym VMs with ByteSwap = Yes, which eliminates that overhead.

Very true.

There are also other things in xhdi.cpp I don't really like, such as going through
stdio when raw Unix file-descriptors would do, and the small I/O unit size.

Please suggest a better yet portable way. I've been thinking about
reading more than a single sector at once, that could help a bit. Should
write a benchmark for it first, it seems.

Petr