Re: nfhd performance

Geert,

So far I never really used nfhd.

On that matter - I've used it once to good effect. My 160 GB disk was properly recognized by nfhd but not by IDE emulation (Falcon disk hooked up to PC via USB adapter). IDE appears to truncate the disk size (number of cylinders I presume) in my rather old ARAnyM version.

(had to use ARAnyM to revive the bootstrap on my second HD after the primary one died on me)

In a kernel that has both IDE and nfhd support, once everything is in the
buffer cache, I get:

atari:~# dd if=/dev/hda2 bs=1M of=/dev/null
134+1 records in
134+1 records out
141114880 bytes (141 MB) copied, 5.91 seconds, 23.9 MB/s
atari:~# dd if=/dev/nfhd8p2 bs=1M of=/dev/null
134+1 records in
134+1 records out
141114880 bytes (141 MB) copied, 17.09 seconds, 8.3 MB/s

So nfhd is slower than emulated IDE?

That seems odd indeed ... is the disk attached as IDE or via USB adapter? (Checking to see whether I should get similar results)

Cheers,

	Michael

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
                                -- Linus Torvalds