Re: atafb and X/fbdev

Thorsten Glaser wrote:
The 16-bpp Falcon mode should be chunky and work.
That's video=atafb:falh16 ?

No, that's a 4bpp mode.

From my reading of drivers/video/atafb.c there are
no 16bpp modes?
There is a 16 bpp mode - look for 'hicolor' in the source. From my understanding, it has all been wired up right (to be honest, I did only rewrite the fbcon interface for 2.6 onwards, and touched as little of the business end of the driver as possible).

The driver detects hicolor mode from bit 8 of f_shift:

       else if (hw->f_shift & 0x100)   /* hicolor */
var->bits_per_pixel = 16; and uses the generic packed pixel cfb interface to draw characters to the screen in this case.

Thanks for the hint, Geert - I would have claimed there's only mono and interleaved planes otherwise. Nothing like a trip down memory lane - I had totally forgotten that I wrote Mac fbcon drivers back in the days.

I feel I should give the hicolor mode a test to see whether it does actually work after all this time.

Cheers,

 Michael