Re: build warnings

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Michael Schmitz wrote:

Geert,

Whatever the reason - the SLUB allocator either is buggy outright
for m68k, or we run into memory pressure a lot sooner than other
architectures and the VM subsystem needs optimizing for SLUB.

I'd just replace the Debian default for the m68k kernels....

If switching from SLUB to SLAB fixes the problem, please enable
CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG and bring it up on lkml/with the SLUB people.

Can do that - I'll try and collect debug data from another case I know
has had trouble with SLUB. I'll probably have to build a custom kernel
for them and test that on the live mail server. Fun ... :-)

I haven't compared the log from Thorsten's kernel failure with the
failures I saw, but (anecdotally) my experience was the same: SLUB on m68k
was not usable, going back some years.

The introduction of the SLUB allocator was 2.6.22, but I can't help you
bisect because I don't recall that it worked ever (?)

Anyway, I do recall building SLUB kernels at the time that would fail more
often than they booted ... maybe the old releases could offer some clues?

Finn

Cheers,

 Michael