RE: [RFC] Input: wm97xx-core - Remove save state from wm97xx_read_aux_adc()

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 at 14:46:50 Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 02:46:59PM -0400, Eric Millbrandt wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 at 13:19:25 Mark Brown wrote:
>
> [Reflowed your mail into 80 columns for legibility - you might want to
> look at your MUA configuration]

Sorry, MS Outlook is dumb.

<snip>

> I've got a feeling that at least some machine-specific semi accelerated
> drivers make use of this but can't quite remember.  If it just causes an
> extra sample sometimes I'm inclined to feel it's safer to leave things
> as-is.

The problem there is the return value of poll_sample currently is not being checked, so wm97xx_read_aux_adc() is returning invalid data.  That could be fixed to either keep polling until RC_VALID or a timeout is hit is returned or return an error to the calling function and letting it decide what to do.  I don't like the second option because it creates a pathologic failure:

-The first call to wm97xx_read_aux_adc() succeeds
-The digitizer settings are restored, generating an extra sample
-A second call to wm97xx_read_aux_adc() fails
-The digitizer settings are restored, generating an extra sample
-The third call fails...

Thoughts?

-DISCLAIMER: an automatically appended disclaimer may follow. By posting-
-to a public e-mail mailing list I hereby grant permission to distribute-
-and copy this message.-

This e-mail and the information, including any attachments, it contains are intended to be a confidential communication only to the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original message.

Thank you.