Re: New Force Feedback device support - GreenAsia 0x12

Łukasz Lubojański wrote:
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 9:35 PM, Łukasz Lubojański
<lukasz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2008/11/29 Jiri Kosina <jkosina@xxxxxxx>:
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008, Łukasz Lubojański wrote:

It seems the protocol resembles more the hid-lg2ff one. The differences
are the additional 0xfa 0xfe 0x0 report sent to the device, and the
missing 0xf3 stop command.
Yep - different reports are send in case of Pantherlord and GreenAsia
0x12 - It could be implemented in it but it will require checking what
hardware is used and send different reports.
OK, so as the reports are not really identical, and in the future we might
discover that there are many more other Greenasia devices which require a
slightly different handling as well, I would rather prefer to have it as a
separate driver, to avoid additions of here-and-there device-specific
quirks to random places in the code. That's exactly what we are trying to
avoid with the HID bus approach in the first place.

So I think separate driver is fine.

Thanks to both of you.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs

Here is new version of the GreenAsia patch - I hope this time
everything will be OK. It is based on the Pantherlord.

Sorry to take so long but I have problems with the 2.6.28 (2.6.28-rc6
was not loading my driver and 2.6.28-rc7 is crashing when IO APIC is
enabled). Anyway I done it and I'm waiting for your feedback :D

+static const signed short ff_rumble[] = {
+	FF_RUMBLE,
+	-1
+};

This seems unnecessary.

+
+	list_for_each_entry(hidinput, &hid->inputs, list) {
+
+		report_ptr = report_ptr->next;
+
+		if (report_ptr == report_list) {
+			dev_err(&hid->dev, "required output report is "
+					"missing\n");
+			return -ENODEV;
+		}
[...]
+	if (id->driver_data)
+		hdev->quirks |= HID_QUIRK_MULTI_INPUT;

Is this really a HID_QUIRK_MULTI_INPUT device (Multiple controllers on one device, for example a 2-in-1 adapter)? Just asking because your previous patch didn't have this.

If this is not the case, there is also no need to have 2 new Kconfig entries, but a simple FF-only entry (see ZEROPLUS_FF / hid-zpff.c).

--
Anssi Hannula