Re: Potential IIO meeting / future directions discussion at ELCE 2018 - Edinburgh 22-24 Oct

On Sun, 1 Jul 2018 18:07:40 +0100
Jonathan Cameron <jonathan.cameron@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Jul 2018 17:16:35 +0200
> Lars-Peter Clausen <lars@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On 07/01/2018 01:09 PM, Jonathan Cameron wrote:

> > > Cool - so it sounds like there is enough interest (given the very short notice!)
> > > to apply for a BoF.  The tricky bit is I need to put together an abstract by
> > > later today.
> > >
> > > So off the top of my head topics that come to mind are:
> > >
> > > 1. Userspace ABI pain points - the recent extensive discussions around the energy
> > >    meters have certainly shown there are some nasty corners.  The currently open
> > >    question about floating point support is also interesting (though we may well have
> > >    come to a conclusion about that long before October).
> >
> > Some things about ABI
> >
> > 1.a. Is cross device ABI achievable or are we moving towards IIO being a
> > simple userspace and kernelspace bridge with each driver having its own
> > ABI? Is IIO the new drivers/misc?
>
> Good points. I'll work them into the abstract.
>
> Hmm. 900 word limit so it's not going to give much detail - but hopefully
> just enough to get the right crowd there for the discussion!

In the interests of a pleasant Sunday evening, submitted. I've put a proviso that
we'll probably update the topics depending on what happens in the next few months.

Thanks all and please keep the conversation going on the mailing list.
If it doesn't happen at ELCE we can either do something informal or look at
other venues in the near future.  Going through the exercise has made
if clear that as a community there are useful things to talk about!

Anyhow, hope to see some of you in Edinburgh (it's really nice by the way if
anyone was wavering - I was there on holiday last month for a few days!)

Jonathan