Re: Potential IIO meeting / future directions discussion at ELCE 2018 - Edinburgh 22-24 Oct

On Sun, 1 Jul 2018 17:16:35 +0200
Lars-Peter Clausen <lars@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 07/01/2018 01:09 PM, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 10:48:01 +0300
> > Daniel Baluta <daniel.baluta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I'll be there. Although, I'm mainly involved now with IIO via Outreachy/GSoC
> >> I think it is a good idea to have the meeting in the form of a BoF.
> >>
> >> CC-ing Eugen, I noticed he has done a lot of work recently in the IIO area.
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> Daniel.
> >
> > Cool - so it sounds like there is enough interest (given the very short notice!)
> > to apply for a BoF.  The tricky bit is I need to put together an abstract by
> > later today.
> >
> > So off the top of my head topics that come to mind are:
> >
> > 1. Userspace ABI pain points - the recent extensive discussions around the energy
> >    meters have certainly shown there are some nasty corners.  The currently open
> >    question about floating point support is also interesting (though we may well have
> >    come to a conclusion about that long before October).
>
> Some things about ABI
>
> 1.a. Is cross device ABI achievable or are we moving towards IIO being a
> simple userspace and kernelspace bridge with each driver having its own
> ABI? Is IIO the new drivers/misc?

Good points. I'll work them into the abstract.

Hmm. 900 word limit so it's not going to give much detail - but hopefully
just enough to get the right crowd there for the discussion!

Jonathan